Below Shows Chart Of How The Best 20 World Football Center Backs Were Ranked Based On Their Performances From Last Six Months
In the sport of association football, a Defender is an outfield position player whose primary role is to stop attacks during the game and prevent the opposition from scoring. Centre-backs are usually positioned in pairs, with one full-back on either side to their left and right, but can be played in threes with or without full-backs.
The centre-back (also known as a central defender or centre-half, as the modern role of the centre-back arose from the centre-half position) defends in the area directly in front of the goal and tries to prevent opposing players, particularly centre-forwards, from scoring.
Football central defence story can’t be completed without the mentioning of Legends in the likes of Paolo Maildini, John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Fabio Cannavaro, Franco Baresi, Ronald Koeman and so many of them. These men practiced the act of central defence and passed it down to this generational defenders.
In today’s football, the likes of Thiago Silva, Sergio Ramos, Ruben Dias, Virgil van dijk, Eric Dier, Antonio Rudigar, Kalidou Koulibaly, Lewis Dunk, Fonte, Raphael Varane, Gerrard Pique, Marquinhos, Matthijs de Ligt and so many more are currently thriving and practicing this art and act of central defence (Center back)
Somtosport in relation to trusted sources has ranked these CB players according to their impact from the average match level in which they participated in according to the experience capital method, their amount of official game minutes played over the six months of 2022 and their pitch performance (InStat data) compared to both teammates and opponents.
Paris Saint-Germain and Brazilian defender tops the Chart. Ever since the exit of Thiago Silva, Marquinhos has been leading the back line of Paris Saint-Germain with every technical know how and experience. The 28 years old has a total of 88.7 points and sits on the first position of the Chart.
Liverpool’s man who is considered the best CB in the Premier most recently by many was ranked at the 8th position with 81.8 points just above Chelsea veteran defender who has 81.4 points and Joe Rondon of Stade Rennais who has 81.2 points.
However, Arsenal’s center back duo in William Saliba and Gabriel Magalhaes saw a bump in their power rankings after an impressive past three months, although the former was not ranked in top 20, the later was ranked 4th with 85.4 points.
Sergio Ramos maintains his glory and sits just in second position with 85.9 points after impressive last 6 months, while Jonathan Grandit of Lens and France occupies the 4th place with 85.4 points.
See Top 20 Best Center-Backs And Their Points as Ranked By Somtosport.
1. Marquinhos Aoás (Paris St-Germain FC): 88.7
2. Sergio Ramos (Paris St-Germain FC): 85.9
3. Jonathan Gradit (RC Lens): 85.9
4. Gabriel Magalhães (Arsenal FC): 85.4
5. Facundo Medina (RC Lens): 84.9
6. Danilo Pereira (Paris St-Germain FC): 82.4
7. Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur FC): 82.2
8. Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool FC): 81.8
9. Thiago Silva (Chelsea FC): 81.4
10. Joe Rodon (Stade Rennais FC): 81.2
11. Antonio Rüdiger (Real Madrid CF): 80.1
12. Lewis Dunk (Brighton & Hove Albion FC): 79.5
13. Adam Webster (Brighton & Hove Albion FC): 78.8
14. Dante Bonfim (OGC Nice): 78.4
15. Arthur Theate (Stade Rennais FC): 78.0
16. José Fonte (LOSC Lille): 77.9
17. Joe Gomez (Liverpool FC): 77.9
18. Clément Lenglet (Tottenham Hotspur FC): 77.4
19. Tiago Djaló (LOSC Lille): 76.9
20. Marc Guéhi (Crystal Palace): 75.5